The popularity of Chromebooks is undeniable, especially in schools. Inexpensive and lightweight, they make for ideal student devices. But what happens when these devices breakdown? Today, we’ll cover exactly what is needed for in-house Chromebook repair.
Why In-House Repairs?
This is probably your first question when considering in-house Chromebook repair: why? There are three main reasons to consider:
- Ease of repair: Since parts of a Chromebook are few, repairs are generally easy and straightforward. This makes Chromebook repairs ideal to perform in house.
- Cost savings: In-house repairs save money as you will only need to pay for the cost of parts, rather than the cost of labor and parts.
- Time savings: Get your devices back into your students’ hands faster with in-house repairs.
What You Need for In-House Repairs
Before you get started, be sure to have the following lined up and ready to go.
Any successful in-house repair starts with thorough and reliable instructions. That’s where we come in. The AGParts Education YouTube channel has 200 plus Chromebook repair tutorials for 45 plus popular Chromebook models. Each teardown series includes four repairs: motherboard, battery, LCD, and palm rest replacements. Performed by an experienced technician with guided voiceover, these tutorials are essential for any repair.
Your district will need a set of standard tools to perform any Chromebook repair.
- Spudger or Pry Tool: Essential to any Chromebook repair, a spudger or pry tool safely separates pressure-fit plastic components without damage.
- Manual Screwdriver: Most repairs will require a #0 Philips manual screwdriver.
- Static Mat: An electrostatic discharge mat protects your devices, and the repairer, from any electrostatic discharge common to electronics.
- Anti-Shock/Anti-Static Wrist Strap: Also referred to as a grounding bracelet, these wrist straps attach to your static mat and protect your devices and repairers against static electricity.
Oftentimes Chromebook repairs require replacing a part like a battery as opposed to fixing a component. The most important thing to consider when securing a Chromebook parts supplier is the quality of parts. It cannot be overstated how important purchasing authentic OEM or equivalent Chromebook parts is. Generic, counterfeit parts are not only bound to fail but they pose a serious safety risk to staff and students as they are made with substandard components. Since counterfeits can be tough to spot, the only way to ensure that your district receives authentic parts is to purchase parts from a reliable Chromebook parts supplier only, like AGParts Education.
Encounter an issue during an in-house repair? Be sure to have a team you can trust on standby. Our dedicated sales executives can connect you with our knowledgeable tech team to assist with any questions or issues regarding repairs.
A Repair Vendor You Can Trust
Prefer to send your repairs out? Enter our sister company, AGiRepair! Equipped to perform repairs for districts of any size, AGiRepair specializes in device repair for all K-12 devices. Their proprietary online work order makes entering and tracking repairs easy. Their knowledgeable techs and friendly team can assist with any of your repair needs. Get started by creating an account.
How to Set Up a Successful In-House Repairs Program
This all sounds great but how can your district set itself up for long-term success? Here are some ideas:
Assign a Dedicated Team for Repairs
Whether it is a team of one or 10, assign specific staff members to handle repairs. These in-house techs will accrue the most experience in repair and reduce the chance of device damage and repair failure. Having a dedicated repair team also ensures consistency in repair. Since Chromebook repairs are generally straightforward with reliable instructions, it doesn’t have to be electronics wizard.
It could be that you don’t have the available staff or bandwidth to take this on in house. If financially feasible, consider hiring a part-time staff member that serves as the dedicated repair technician.
A creative way to perform in-house repairs is by involving your students. This is a great opportunity for students to learn more about electronics and what it takes to maintain them. You can create an elective class or an after-school club that focuses on device repair. An added benefit of involving students is creating student ambassadors—students sensitive to how devices are handled and used.
However your district chooses to perform their repairs, AGParts Education is here for all of your Chromebook repair needs. Contact us for more information.